Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Parenting Articles vs. Reality


I am always drawn to the many links to parenting articles shared on social media.  The article usually makes it seem very clear that a certain point about raising children makes complete sense.  Most seem to be articles that make excuses for not doing something… and the articles aim to make lack of parenting seem to make complete sense. 

Parents with messy houses can feel vindicated about a disastrous house because they are catering to their children at all times.  And of course, children are only young once so it would be considered poor parenting to spend a little time on the house; that takes away from the children afterall.  Articles insist that spending too much time catering to their children is bad for their development because they become self-centered.  So the alternative is to provide them with a home, food, clothing, and opportunities for them to play on their own.  On the flip side there are blogs and posts about embracing every minute, opportunity, and experience with your child.  Play with them.  All day.  Accommodate their every wish, embrace their back talk because they are learning to assert themselves.  You get the picture.  Right? 

Rather than lose my mind at the ridiculousness of some of these ‘all or nothing’, ‘this way is best’ articles I have decided to have a little fun with them.   Because, well, I’m rather opinionated and of course the blogosphere would love to hear my thoughts!  Right?  So, each time I see one of these parenting articles come across my news feed I will refer to the article and offer my response. 

Off to find the most recent of these articles…. Stay tuned!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment